Retirees

I've finally retired my faithful KMC Z9 and 3 sprockets (2300's 15T and 13T, Deore's 11T). All of them have gone through considerable abuse (by me personally). May peace be upon them.

The chain: KMC Z9, beaten up pretty good













The chain is elongated way too much. It makes squeaky noise under heavy pedal stroke. Not that I am a powerful pusher-sprinter, I just forgot to replace it sooner (it's been around for 2-3 years already if I remember correctly).

Let's get technical: 15.5 links are 20 cm long (the tile is 20 cm wide). The math is: 15.5 links x 1.57 cm (standard chain pitch) = 19.685 cm is the way a good chain should be. So how abused my chain has gone through? 20 cm / 15.5 links = 1.29... cm/link; 1.29 x 20 cm = 25.8... cm. Sheldon here said that it is way over the tolarable length (25.7 cm for 20 links--10 links if you count inside-outside links as a link).

I guess I am pretty stupid not to change it sooner.

top 3 sprockets













I rode all-odd 8-speed 25T-11T, and the top (smallest) three are my favorites. On commuting rides, I mostly went with 50/34 at front 13T at the rear, occasionally switching to 15T or 11T for extra acceleration or extra 'push' rescpectively. To make things worse: I'd like to do some climbing on 34T compact front and 15T in the rear. Yeah, you may call me pussy now.

The sprockets are probably heavily dammaged by the over-elongated chain. As I replaced the chain (with another KMC Z9 of course), it frequently 'skipped/jumped' if I am on 34 in the front. So I need to change these sprockets too. Now I am riding 26T-23T-21T-19T-17T-15T-13T-12T. Yeah, you may call me pussy again now.

The moral is: always inspect your chain regularly, 2 weeks or so will do.

---update
Forgot to include my loose bottom bracket's bearings too (Sora's Hollowtech II)
the left bearing is super-loose, the right is so-so

0 rants: