D2566 on Zenwalk

Few days ago, I was one the people who hesitate about Linux printing--thinking that it sucks. But I badly need printing on Zenwalk, rather than rebooting to Windows just to print merely one or two pages of a document.

I suppose my D2566 printer is already Linuxish as Hewlett Packard has been kind enough to ofter hplip which gives you open driver. Unfortunately, from the package I got from the official site doesn't include the support for Zenwalk (or another Slackware-based distros), and I hate to mess with it.

My choice come to using Slackware 13.1 precompiled binaries. As my box already has CUPS (I use it for Samba), what I needed is:
- hplip
- libsnmp
(I got both from Slackware 13.1 ISO images)

Installing those packages won't bug you much, just invoke:
installpkg those-silly-packages
and everything should be good to go.

Zenwalk's got nice application to manage printing (popup-menu >> settings >> printing), just click-click-click and your printer should (automagically) on the go!

0 rants: